Thread: Easy Rotor Control kit and USB connection

Default Easy Rotor Control kit and USB connection

Hi
    I'm looking at adding the ERC into my Yaesu G-800DXA controller box, and I will use the optional USB-RS232 adapter for PC connection. According to the Easy Rotor website ERC is compatible with CommCat, but can anyone confirm if ERC connected with USB adapter sends bearing information back to Commcat please? I assume it will need to do this if bearing information is to display correctly on CommCat Live?

Thanks in advance
    Grant
    ZL3HA

Hi all
    This was probably the wrong section of the forum for my original post, but here's a progress report and a request anyway!

I have now purchased and assembled the Easy Rotor Control (ERC-M) which provides for direct plug in to the 6 pin mini din on the back of the Yaesu G-800DXA control box, and USB connection to PC (mapped to Com Port4). Its a nice tidy solution and is self powered by the USB PC connection so there is minimal extra cabling to get in the way. I can now successfully use CommCat to control the rotator. However as suspected (and as advised to me by Rene at ERC before the purchase) bearing information is not appearing correctly in CommCat Live and my beam heading in Commcat Live is stuck on 360. Is there any way to over ride this pending any possible software or firmware solution in the future?

Best 73
    Grant
    ZL3HA

Hi Grant--

I am currently working with Rene to make sure the interface between CommCat and the ERC-M is optimized. There are several issues we will have resolved which should improve things. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your patience!

Hi Howard that is great news but please don't rush anything on account of me as I was aware that this would probably be an enhancement for my configuration in the future. Do let me know if I can be of assistance with any field testing, I'm not sure if there are any other ERC-M to Yaesu controller users on the forum. I'm constantly amazed at the capabilities of the CommCat suite. Thank you indeed for your efforts.
    Cheers
    Grant